Green Residency Permit

All you need to know about the ‘Green residency permit’, in 2022

Who is eligible?

5-year Green Residence Permit for workers 

According to the announcement, certain professionals can get a five-year green residence visa, which does not require an employer or sponsor. These categories are:

1. Green residence for freelancers (self-employment)

• Applicant should obtain a freelance/self-employment permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE)

• Minimum educational level should be bachelor’s degree or specialised diploma

• Annual income from self-employment for the previous two years should not be less than Dh360,000, or that the applicant proves financial solvency throughout his stay in the country.

2. Green residence for skilled employees 

• Applicants should have a valid employment contract • They should be classified in the first, second or third occupational level as per MOHRE.

• Minimum educational level must be a bachelor’s degree or equivalent

• Salary should not be less than Dh15,000. This is apart from the standard employment residence visa, which is offered for two years.

3. 5-year Green Residence for investors and partners

Another category for the Green Residence visa is for investors and partners. Under this category, too, a sponsor will not be required for the holder of the Green Residency.

Requirements including approval of the investment and proof of investment. If the investor (partner) has more than one licence, the total invested capital will be calculated. Approval of the competent local authorities is mandatory.

Can I sponsor my family? 

• The resident can sponsor his or her family members including spouse and children till the age of 25 and unmarried daughters regardless of their age.

• Children of determination are granted a residence permit, regardless of age.

• The Green Residence holder can sponsor first degree relatives.

• The duration of family members residence shall be the same as their sponsor’s residence duration.

Special humanitarian cases to also be considered

In the announcement, a special mention was made of specific humanitarian cases, where a residency permit may be granted. These are:

1. A female resident whose UAE citizen husband passed away and she has a child or more.

2. The parents or children of UAE citizens who hold foreign passports. .

3. Spouse and children of GCC citizens who hold foreign passports.